Today I had to change the admin passwords of 2 Windows 2008 R2 servers as some-one changed them from the default password!!!! Luckily I stumbled onto THIS site which shows an excelent method of resetting the password using the windows 2008 cd:
- Boot from the Micrsoft Windows Server 2008 DVD
- From the Install Windows menu, click “Next”.
- Select “Repair your computer”
- In the System Recovery Options, select the Operating System instance that you wish to repair and click “Next”.
- Select “Command Prompt”. The
- At the command prompt, run the following commands:
ren Utilman.exe Utilman.exe.old
copy cmd.exe Utilman.exe
- Reboot the server allowing Windows to load as normal
- At the logon screen, press Windows Key + U.
- As the command prompt, enter the following command:
net user administrator Password12
This will set the password for the Administrator user to be Password12 (case sensitive).
- Delete the newly created Utilman.exe from C:WindowsSystem32
- Rename Utilman.exe.old back to Utilman.exe